The main causes of leaks are defects in the roofing carpet, the failure of the drainage system, the humidification of the thermal insulation layer and the violation of the tightness of the coating adjacent to the vertical structures (parapets, antennas, pipes, walls). Such damage can vary in scale. Accordingly, some require a small repair, and others – the intervention of masters and more complex activities, until the replacement of the roof.
Reasons for leaks:
- humidification of the thermal insulation layer due to a violation of technology;
not sufficiently effective operation of the drainage system;
- mechanical damage to the integrity of the roof and the geometry of the rafter system;
- violation of the installation technology;
- exposure to the roof of biological and atmospheric factors, which lead to its natural destruction;
- poor-quality fasteners and roofing construction materials.
- The cause of the leakage is a mounting fault
- The violation of technology in the construction of the roof is unacceptable. Quite often to correct such errors, the roof has to be dismantled and installed from scratch.
Factors for its successful installation are the following:
1. Projects created without errors
Incorrectly designed cornices, the wrong roof slope and parapets can aggravate the problem of water drainage from the roof. In this case, a large number of complex architectural elements and inconsistency of their placement with ventilation can lead to the emergence of unventilated areas.
2. Technological roof installation in compliance with all recommendations
Creating a roof device, it is important to provide reliable hydro and vapor insulation, ventilation of the thermal insulation layer by installing skate and cornice ventilation vanes and air purges. If the vapor barrier is not laid correctly, condensation may form in the structure, which will cause the ceiling moisture inside.
3. The right selection of building materials and contractors
It is very important to use only high-quality building materials and accessories. The manufacturer must provide a guarantee for his products. For installation it is necessary to involve masters who have certificates and a license.
What to do if the roof is flowing at home:
1. Initially, you need to inspect the roof. If the leak is not very significant, then the roof can be tested independently. First you need to go up to the attic and check the condition of the waterproofing for mold, rot, damp places, rafters, flooring and flooring. For example, moisture can discolor the coating or leave dark marks on the wood.
2. After you have checked the roof from the inside, proceed to external studies. Inspect the skate for waterproofing and the integrity of its elements. Pay special attention to fixing aprons of metal in the area of the roof abutment to vertical structures and the state of insulation. Going down to the bottom of the roof, make sure that the land has not accumulated plant debris. Look at the bottom layer of the roofing and the cornice board – their integrity can suffer rain and strong winds. Clarify whether the ventilation ducts, funnels, gutters and gutter pipes are clogged with any debris, lichens and mosses were formed on the slopes, and at the very top – bubbles, chips, cracks, holes and dents.
3. If the external inspection has not detected any damage, but the leakage continues, you should wait for precipitation, go up to the attic, find the place of penetration of moisture and mark it with chalk. In dry weather it can be patched.
Remember that repair work and inspection of the roof are very risky, because the slopes are slippery and steep, and the head can suddenly start spinning high and unexpectedly. All these are pretty good reasons to turn to professionals for help. The roof repair method involves not only detailed diagnostics and selection of special building materials, but also the use of special equipment. Today many companies investigate the roof using an infrared camera. It is able to quickly detect leaks and visualize the technical condition of the roofing system. On the basis of the data obtained, the masters determine the nature and scope of work and make estimates. Next, the owner and the contractor conclude a contract that prescribes the guarantee obligations, payment terms, rights and obligations of the parties.