Running in summer has many advantages over winter training. But there are its troubles.
In order not to lose shape, you should not lose three months of summer, you need to adapt. But you should avoid running in high temperatures and run in the summer or only in the gym, or at midnight.
The first thing to remember in the summer – heart rate will be higher by 5-15 beats with the same effort. Your heart will work harder in the summer to maintain the same effort. The muscles will work worse because the blood will be sent to the skin in the heat to cool the organs faster, and the muscles will not get enough.
It is also important not to forget about acclimatization. That is, it is not necessary to train hard at a high temperature for the first 2 weeks (maximum of 6 pieces of training during this time). As a result, you will sweat at a lower temperature, the amount of blood needed for cooling will decrease.
Experts also give some important recommendations:
- Understand how much fluid you lose: you should weigh yourself without clothes BEFORE training and AFTER, and see the difference. It is a minimum amount of water to drink. You should drink water in advance, not when you are already thirsty, before intense work and during, and not pouring liters of water after.
- The best fluid for training in the heat – which contains as much salt and water as is lost through sweating; about 1-2 grams of salt per liter of water. These are can be sports drinks.
- Do not drink a liter of water in two measures throughout the workout. It is best to drink in small sips (a few sips) every few miles.
- Wear the lightest sportswear – shorts + light t-shirts, shorts + sconces and thin sports socks. No cotton that gets wet becomes heavy and does not remove moisture. Do not use deodorants before jogging, you must sweat, due to the evaporation of sweat the skin cools, body temperature drops, and prevents you from overheating and fainting.
- Monitor your heart rate ahead of time. And more, red skin is OK, it is the body’s job to reduce body temperature.
How to run in the summer without harm to health: useful tips
- High humidity at high temperatures is the enemy of jogging. In such conditions, sweating is difficult, which means a high risk of heatstroke.
- Choose suitable places for jogging. These can be shady alleys of parks or forest paths, wells of yards where sunlight does not get, or paths along with near reservoirs. Also, pay attention to the angle of your treadmills and do not run uphill.
- It is better to reduce the speed of running in the summer compared to your usual speed of the cooler season, and if necessary, stop at all and take a break. Listen to your body and do not test its strength.
- Choose the right clothes for running in the summer. It should be light and free, not tight and not restrict movement, absorb moisture well, and be light to more effectively reflect sunlight. Also do not forget about light and comfortable sports shoes.
- Do not ignore the use of sunscreen, because in summer the sun can be insidious, and you risk getting sunburned even at dawn or in the shade.
- Take care of drinking and timely replenishment of water supply.
Picture Credit: Unsplash